Monday 25 May 2015

Recipe: Apple Cake

When I was pregnant with Lyra I developed a huge craving/addiction to anything that had almonds in it...oh and cinnamon....together, separately, whatever...I wanted it. I still do. I could easily eat a batch of frangipane and not think anything of it...seriously...love the stuff. 

Since I've had Lyra I've spent a lot of time eating bakewell tarts and cinnamon buns. A LOT OF TIME. I'm not interested in making either of those at home...I can't be bothered making my own pastry and most yeasty bakes don't fit into Lyra's schedule at the moment. So I buy, who cares. 


The other week, though, I really wanted to bake something almondy and cinnamony so I slightly adapted an old family favourite and whipped up an appley-almondy-cinnamony-cake. SWEET PERFECTION. 



Apple Cake 

Ingredients 

4 eating apples
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup oil (any flavourless oil)
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp almond essence

Method

PRE HEAT oven to 180C (fan)
Grease and Line a 23 cm round spring form cake pan

Peel, core and thinly slice apples.
In a large bowl toss apples with 1/3 cup sugar and cinnamon.
Set aside.

In a small mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until combined, add oil and milk and beat until smooth.
Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients, don't over mix.

Pour 1/2 the batter into the cake pan.
Arrange apples in a layer over the batter and spread the remaining batter over the apples. It is ok if the batter doesn't cover the apples completely.

Bake 1 hour or until tester comes out clean.
Let cool completely before taking out of the tin.

1 comment:

  1. Looks quite delicious!!!.... Will have to try this variation of Apple cake!!...

    ReplyDelete