Wednesday 13 May 2015

Homemade Pizza

Ever since David and I moved in together we have had Pizza on Friday nights for dinner. For the most part we have had homemade pizza, with the odd frozen one and a good amount of Dominos. Actually, since Christmas I have been so lazy and it is fair to say that we have had more than just the ODD frozen pizza. Shame Shame double shame...I know. Anyway, while we were in France in March I started (didn't finish) Swallow This by investigative journalist Joanna Blythman. It is all about the prepared foods industry and all the stuff that goes into making our food.  Sadly (or thankfully) there is a whole section on frozen/prepared pizza and pizza dough...you can imagine...so we are back to homemade pizza on Friday nights. 


Now that Lyra is determined to help prepare EVERY.SINGLE.MEAL I've been letting her make her own pizzas...rolling out the dough, putting on her toppings (usually just tomato sauce and ham) and helping grate and sprinkle on the cheese (which is the BEST bit). 


I don't use a recipe but I do follow these guidelines: 

00 flour (about 3 cups ish, added in 1/2 cup measurement) 
1 Tbsp quick yeast ( Doves Farm yeast is great) 
250ml warm water with 1 Tbsp olive oil added 
NO SALT 

I start by combining 1 cup of flour, the yeast and the liquid until smooth and then just add the rest of the flour 1/2 a cup at a time until I've got a nice smooth dough. 

This dough doubles in about an hour so you can make it pretty much at the last minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment